Sunday, August 15, 2010

Losing Weight: You Can Do It

Losing weight can be fun and easy, if you put your mind to it, and you are determined that you actually want to do it.  You may ask, how did you do it?  Well, let me tell you how I did it.

First things first...Get rid of the diet pills, all of the fad diets, and the powder drinks that you might want to take to aid you in losing weight.  They don't work, or if they do, they don't work for long enough.  The minute you stop using them, your weight loss is doomed.  Yes, I tried the Slimfast, and the Herbalife way of losing weight, and when I stopped using the products, I gained all of the weight back plus some.  They don't work.

If you really want to lose weight and make it stick, you've got to make the lifestyle changes to make it work.  What lifestyle changes?  First of all, you need to change what you put into your mouth on a daily basis.  If you are eating high fat and empty calorie foods, change that.  What are high fat and empty calorie foods?  They are foods that are filled with starch, and of course fat.  I don't need to explain what fat is, because we all know what it is.  Check the labels.  Junk food is another thing that you should put a tight reign on, if not take it out all together.

So what are foods that are good to eat?  In the meat category I would stick to things like, chicken, turkey, fish, lean cuts of beef type products.  There are also other proteins that I would recommend.  Those would be low or non fat cheeses, low or non fat cottage cheese, low or non fat milk, vegetarian baked beans of the low sodium type,  and there are also many kinds of nuts you could eat.  Don't eat too many canned goods, as they have lots of sodium added to them.  Too much sodium in the diet is not good for your body, it could cause you to retain water.  If you do get anything canned, make sure it says that it's low or reduced sodium.  Please..
.
In the carbohydrate category there are also lots of things that you could eat that taste good, and are good for you at the same time.  Green vegetables are the best in this category, with the exception of any starchy type green vegetables..  The ones that I like to eat regularly are broccoli, and green beans.  There are also many kinds of fruit that would be for great benefit for you to eat.  Test them all out and see what you like and don't like.  I would keep the bread to a minimum, and I would also eat whole grain as much as possible
.
While changing what you eat is a good start, there is something you need to do that is just as important in the process of losing weight.  I added this to my weight loss program, and I just can't do without it now.  What did I add?  The word that everyone hates...Exercise.  Not only does it help you lose weight, but it is a good way to keep your heart and body healthy for a long time to come.  When I started walking every day, I started feeling more healthy.  All of the aches and pains, that I had previously, subsided.  Some have gone completely away.  I'm not tired all of the time, and my problem with depression has dissipated.  Exercise can do many things for you, not just help you lose weight.  Before you start an exercise program, talk to your doctor about what types of exercise would be best for you.  For me?  I walk every day.  I walk 3.5 miles.  Did I start out at 3.5 miles?  No.  I started at 1/2 mile around the block and went from there.  It's taken me almost a year to get here.

One of the important things for me in my process of losing weight, and keeping it off, is having someone keep me accountable.  Having someone who you know is going to ask you how it's going is a very good way to keep you on track.  I want to take this opportunity to say thank you to my good friend, and person who kept, and still keeps me accountable.  Thank you Susie very much, from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you for making me stick to it

Another part my weight loss was to get myself in tune with God.  Being in tune with God is very important.  I've learned that with God, all things are possible.  Before I started my weight loss adventure I was very depressed, and my relationship with the Lord was not even near what I wanted it to be, and I was lacking.  I was a defeated soul.  When I started spending time, quality time, with my Lord and Savior every day, and sometimes more than once a day, I became a different person.  I gained confidence, not just in my self, but in my God.  Prayer, praise, worship and getting into God's Word are a big part of my life now, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  All things are possible with God.

I did it! I know you can do it also!  Take a look at my Weight Loss album for more.  I will be adding more to it, not just the before and after pictures.  Thanks for reading, and be encouraged.  You can do it...!

Here are some good websites:

Healthy Eating
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-recipes/nutrition/healthyfoodchoices.jsp
http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet.htm

http://www.foodasfood.com/

Weight loss
http://www.webmd.com/diet/
http://weightloss.about.com/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/WT99999

Exercise
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1200013
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/basics/059.html
http://www.diabetes.org/weightloss-and-exercise/exercise/overview.jsp
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/exerciseandphysicalfitness.html

No comments:

Post a Comment